Boone County Public Library: Where Imagination Takes Flight
Phone Number, Date, and Skip to Content Link
Library Catalog Quick Search
home page / read, listen, watch / borrow from another library
Borrow From Another Library
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Interlibrary Loan?
- Interlibrary loan allows over 4100 libraries in the United States to share their circulating collections.
- How many active requests may I have at any given time?
- You may have no more than 10 active requests at any given time.
- What types of items may I request?
- Any book, magazine article, or book on tape that the Boone County Public Library does not own. Microfilms, videos, and other audiovisual materials may be requested, but are difficult to obtain.
- What about reference and genealogical materials?
- Although we may request such materials, libraries often will not lend them. However, copies of specific pages may sometimes be obtained.
- Does ILL cost anything?
- Usually there is no charge, but lending libraries sometimes charge fees -- especially when requesting photocopies. If you are unwilling to pay such fees, you may say so on the ILL request form. If you fail to pick-up your requested item, we will apply a $15 charge to your account in order to recover some of the processing costs.
- How much time does ILL take?
- It varies. Some items come within a week; other items may take several weeks. If you have a deadline for the request, please note it on the request form. By default, the form sets the request date to one month in advance.
- How will I know when my item arrives?
- We will notify you by phone or e-mail when your request arrives, and we will hold it for you at the branch you choose.
- How long may I keep the item?
- The lending library determines the due date -- usually two to three weeks. The due date will be noted on the book.
- May I renew my item?
- The lending library determines whether an item may be renewed and, if so, for how long. To check if you may renew an item, call 859-342-BOOK x8118 one week before the item is due and ask to speak with the Interlibrary Loan Clerk. The clerk will contact the lending library and then contact you when a decision is made.
W3 / CSS / RSS / WAVE / © 2013 Boone County Public Library / 859-342-BOOK(2665)