This was the earliest church in the Big Bone region. It was built in 1843 on land donated by General John Wallace and Thomas Huey. Until then most of the inhabitants of the area attended Middle Creek Baptist Church in Belleview.
The first pastor was Robert Kirtley (1786 - 1872). The second pastor was his son James Kirtley (1822 - 1904).