The Gaines Tavern History Center is home to the Abner Gaines House, built around 1814. The Federal style home belonged to Colonel Abner Gaines and his family. Gaines operated a tavern here on what became a common stopover point on the Covington-Lexington Turnpike.
The house remained in the Gaines family until after the Civil War. Since then it has been a private residence (owned by the Cleek family) and an antique store. It is currently being renovated by the City of Walton to become a museum.
The house was added to the National Register in 1980.
Presented by Elizabeth Comer, 2007