Originally known as Tanner's Station from 1785-1806, then Caledonia, and finally Petersburg in 1818, it was the largest community in Boone County until the Civil War and the coming of the railroad. The town featured a well laid-out grid street plan, the large Boone County Distilling Company, several other smaller industries, two taverns, many active community businesses and a bustling riverfront.
Petersburg retains many fine examples of early Boone County building traditions, both residential and commercial.
Petersburg (3 parts)
Presented by Barbara Horton, 2012