From sources for those last-minute papers to always available e-books and lots of stuff in between, you can find information on just about anything from anywhere in the world through Boone County Public Library’s website.
Click “Research” near the top of our webpage, and you’ll find some trustworthy Research Tools that can help take the stress out of assignments. Search the drop-down list for age-appropriate Homework Help for Kids or Teens. Most of these research tools require a library card, but getting a free library card is easy; stop by any of our locations with an ID and proof of address and one of our staff will assist you. (If under 18, a parent/guardian must sign your application.) In the meantime, here are highlights for some of the tools we think you will find most helpful.
Homework Help for Kids and Teens:
- Amazing Animals of the World is a great place to find out what makes each animal special. Thousands of animals from all around the world are covered with pictures and clear, simple menus.
- Britannica Elementary is for pre-K and elementary school students to grade 5. This is a standard encyclopedia for the younger set. There is also a link to the middle school version for kids in grades 6-8.
- The New Book of Knowledge has engaging graphics and lively, age-appropriate text to motivate young students through the research process for elementary students and beyond.
- EBSCOhostweb lets you search thousands of magazines and journal articles, all in one place, and the best part is … they’re legitimate sources!
- LearningExpress Library is where you can find practice tests for free! Everything from College Entrance Exams (ACT and SAT) and the ASVAB, to AP tests, job tests and last-minute practice for that algebra test you forgot about!
- Literature Resource Center has everything you need for your literary research paper in one place, including literary criticisms, timelines, author info, and bios.
- Mango is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to learn a foreign language. Choose from 71 foreign and 19 English language learning options. Try one language or try them all – it’s up to you! (There’s even a Pirate language course!)
- Opposing Viewpoints covers today’s hottest social issues from offshore drilling to climate change, health care to immigration. This tool can help you prepare for debates, create presentations, research for papers and more.
- National Geographic Virtual Library gives you access to 127 years of the magazine. Here, you’ll find articles about history, culture, and the most distant corners of the world.