Boone County Summer Reading 2017 begins June 1 and ends August 31.
We have reading programs for all ages, from birth to adult!
SUMMER READING KICK-OFF
Kick-off Summer Reading at all Boone County Public Library locations on Thursday, June 1 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. with live music, carnival games, face tattoos, popcorn and a FREE Kona Ice! There will be bounce houses at the Main Library, Scheben Branch and Walton Branch, as well as an inflatable basketball game at the Florence Branch and an inflatable golf game at Chapin Memorial Library.
Music Line-up (bands will perform from 6 to 7 p.m.)
- Misty Mountain String Band – Americana, bluegrass, folk
Main Library, 1786 Burlington Pike, Burlington
- Cold Smoke – R&B, blues, rock
Scheben Branch, 8899 US 42, Union
- Rabbit Hash String Band – old-time, folk
Florence Branch, 7425 US 42
- Greg Schaber – blues guitar
Walton Branch, 21 S. Main Street, Walton
- Brian Miller – Native American flute/hand drum, Chapin Memorial Library, 6517 Market St., Petersburg
And that’s not all! Each library location will have at least one “touch a truck” community vehicle on display! Here’s the list:
- Main Library, 1786 Burlington Pike in Burlington – Boone County Sheriff’s Department will have a patrol car and tactical vehicle and Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky (TANK) will be onsite with a bus.
- Scheben Branch, 8899 US 42 in Union – Union Fire/Ems will be present with a fire truck and ambulance.
- Walton Branch, 21 S. Main Street in Walton – Public works will be on-site with a fire truck and ambulance.
- Florence Branch, 7425 US 42 in Florence – City of Florence will be present with a vactor truck and street sweeper.
- Chapin Memorial Library, 6517 Market St in Petersburg, Louie the Lightning Bug will appear with the Mini City courtesy of Kentucky Utilities.
Last year 12,367 people participated in Summer Reading –10,457 of them were children. Let’s blow those numbers out of the water – register for Summer Reading and read for fun and prizes all summer long! Participating schools will register students in May but public registration and logging for everyone begins June 1.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM DETAILS
Register at www.bcpl.org to participate online. For those who prefer paper, family reading logs for kids and reading tickets for adults will be available at all Boone County Public Library locations beginning June 1.
Preschool Program (birth to four years)
- Complete 10 of these activities to earn a book.Read for 15 minutes.
Dance and sing together.
Point out shapes and letters.
Share a nursery rhyme.
Play a pretend game (post office, house, school, ice-cream shop, etc.)
Paint or draw a picture.
Work on a puzzle.
Talk about what you did today, or tell a story at meal time.
Attend a storytime or program at the Library or park.
Go on a nature walk and collect objects you find.
- Complete 20 of the above activities to earn a Stack and Pour Bucket.
- Complete 30 of the activities to earn three entries in the Grand Prize Drawings for an experience of your choice. Choose from classes at Musikgarten and MJM Dance Studios, private instruction for infant/child massage, a private family tour and hayride at Benton Farms, a Build-A-Bear gift card and more!
- For every additional 10 activities completed, earn another entry in the Grand Prize Drawings.
Youth program (Kindergarten to 12th Grade)
- Read 300 minutes (5 hours) to earn a book of your choice.
- Read 600 minutes (10 hours) to earn a packet of coupons from these local businesses:
- Color Me Mine – predetermined piece
- Dave and Buster’s
- Florence Freedom
- Little Britain Stables – ½ off a riding lesson
- Memorie Makers Cupcakery
- Snappy Tomato
- Read 900 minutes (15 hours) to earn five Library Bucks* and three entries in the grand prize drawings for an experience of your choice. Choose from:
- Cincinnati Zoo Prize
- Day pass for family of four at YMCA
- Four day passes to Splash Cincinnati
- Four day passes to Kings Island for the 2018 season
- Free canoe rental at Boone Landing – two canoes for four hours
- Free putt putt for a family of four at World of Golf
- Junior ticket to Sherlock’s Escape Rooms (K-5)
- Ride on a fire truck with the Union, Hebron, or Walton fire departments
- Two tickets to The Beach Waterpark
- Year of free riding lessons at Little Britain Stables
- Teen only prize – private ghost walk tour
- Teen only prize – ticket to Sherlock’s Escape Rooms
- For every additional 300 minutes read, earn another entry in the Grand Prize Drawings
- Youth Weekly Prizes: Everyone who registers for Summer Reading will be entered into weekly drawings for gift cards:
- Amazon gift cards
- Cinemark gift cards
- Culver’s gift cards
- Kroger gift cards
- Lazer Kraze gift cards
- Target gift cards
- Throwing the first pitch at the Florence Freedom game on August 6.
Everything you read, watch, or listen to earns one Library Buck,* one entry into weekly drawings for Kroger gift cards and one entry into the adult Grand Prize drawings for a set of gift cards to Boone County restaurants.
*Library Bucks can be used at Library book sales and to pay Library fines.
Boone County Summer Reading is a collaboration between Boone County Public Library, Boone County Schools and Walton Verona Schools. We have found that by combining our resources and creating a shared vision, we can better serve the literacy needs of our community and more effectively implement the Summer Reading program.