Chronicles of Boone County

User Tools

Site Tools


anderson_ferry

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
anderson_ferry [2018/03/27 16:08]
thowerton [UGRR and the Anderson Ferry]
anderson_ferry [2018/03/27 16:09] (current)
thowerton [UGRR and the Anderson Ferry]
Line 15: Line 15:
 The legal notice mentions the freedom seekers were from a plantation owned by the Clarkson Family. Curiously, at that time, Jane Clarkson Bristow and her husband James Bristow owned 100 acres of property at the mouth of Dry Creek- right where the Anderson Ferry is located. The Andersons and the Bristows were neighbors and most likely, Evan Anderson and Montague McClure knew the freedom seekers reportedly assisted by George Smith. Jane was the daughter of a wealthy Bourbon County farmer, who inherited enslaved laborers when her father died.  The legal notice mentions the freedom seekers were from a plantation owned by the Clarkson Family. Curiously, at that time, Jane Clarkson Bristow and her husband James Bristow owned 100 acres of property at the mouth of Dry Creek- right where the Anderson Ferry is located. The Andersons and the Bristows were neighbors and most likely, Evan Anderson and Montague McClure knew the freedom seekers reportedly assisted by George Smith. Jane was the daughter of a wealthy Bourbon County farmer, who inherited enslaved laborers when her father died. 
  
-The business changed hands numerous times until 1865, when Charles [[kottmyer_family|Kottmyer]] bought it for $2,800, along with two acres of land. Two years later, Mr. Kottmyer converted the ferry operation from horsepower to steam power. Kottmyer'​s first steam ferry was christened Boone No. 1 in honor of Daniel Boone. Since 1867, nine ferries have been named for Daniel Boone, the last being Boone No. 9 in 1992. Four generations of the Kottmyer family owned the business until it was sold to Paul Anderson in 1986. It isn't certain if Paul is related to the original Anderson family. Today, three ferryboats make numerous trips across the [[Ohio River]] 364 days a year. It remains one of the oldest continuously running ferry operations in the United States, with over 190 years of service.+The ferry business changed hands numerous times until 1865, when Charles [[kottmyer_family|Kottmyer]] bought it for $2,800, along with two acres of land. Two years later, Mr. Kottmyer converted the ferry operation from horsepower to steam power. Kottmyer'​s first steam ferry was christened Boone No. 1 in honor of Daniel Boone. Since 1867, nine ferries have been named for Daniel Boone, the last being Boone No. 9 in 1992. Four generations of the Kottmyer family owned the business until it was sold to Paul Anderson in 1986. It isn't certain if Paul is related to the original Anderson family. Today, three ferryboats make numerous trips across the [[Ohio River]] 364 days a year. It remains one of the oldest continuously running ferry operations in the United States, with over 190 years of service.
  
  
anderson_ferry.txt · Last modified: 2018/03/27 16:09 by thowerton