Chronicles of Boone County

User Tools

Site Tools


constance

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
constance [2018/07/16 13:42]
kbilz [More Information]
constance [2018/09/10 15:25] (current)
kbilz
Line 2: Line 2:
 The [[towns|town]] of Constance is located along River Road (KY Route 8), which follows [[Boone County|Boone County'​s]] northern border. ​ Along with neighboring [[Taylorsport]],​ it lies on a narrow strip of land at the base of a steep bluff in the Taylorsport [[precincts|Precinct]]. The [[towns|town]] of Constance is located along River Road (KY Route 8), which follows [[Boone County|Boone County'​s]] northern border. ​ Along with neighboring [[Taylorsport]],​ it lies on a narrow strip of land at the base of a steep bluff in the Taylorsport [[precincts|Precinct]].
  
-{{ http://bcplfusion.bcpl.org/Repository/2_121_constance_ferry.jpg?​350|Constance Ferry}}+<​html><​img alt="​Constance Ferry" src="​https://bcp.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/​search/​asset/​22953/​0"​ width="​350" align="​right"​ title="​Constance Ferry"></​html> ​
 Constance was founded around [[1800]] when George Anderson began operation a [[Anderson Ferry|ferry]] to western Cincinnati. ​ The Dry Creek-Mitchellsville Turnpike (KY Route 20) to the west connected the town with the interior of the county. ​ During the early 1800's large numbers of immigrants from Baden and Wurttenberg in southwestern Germany made their way to Constance, no doubt because the [[Ohio River|river]],​ with its steep, forested hills on either side, reminded them of their homeland in the Rhine Valley. ​ The name "​Constance,"​ which was chosen for the post office in [[1853]], is taken from a town on the Rhine. ​ As years passed they were joined by German families from Cincinnati. Constance was founded around [[1800]] when George Anderson began operation a [[Anderson Ferry|ferry]] to western Cincinnati. ​ The Dry Creek-Mitchellsville Turnpike (KY Route 20) to the west connected the town with the interior of the county. ​ During the early 1800's large numbers of immigrants from Baden and Wurttenberg in southwestern Germany made their way to Constance, no doubt because the [[Ohio River|river]],​ with its steep, forested hills on either side, reminded them of their homeland in the Rhine Valley. ​ The name "​Constance,"​ which was chosen for the post office in [[1853]], is taken from a town on the Rhine. ​ As years passed they were joined by German families from Cincinnati.
  
constance.1531762955.txt.gz · Last modified: 2018/07/16 13:42 by kbilz