This is an old revision of the document!
The First Baptist Church of Walton was established in 1866. The first meeting was held at a school house near the intersection of Beaver Grade and Stephenson Mill Road. The church's first minister was Lafayette Johnson who served without pay from 1866 to 1870. In 1867, the trustees of the church set the wheels in motion to begin building a house of worship on Church Street (formerly Crusie Creek Rd.) In 1881, the land was purchased for the church cemetery on the east side of the building. A Sunday School was approved and began instruction in 1882.
A new church building was needed as the church community grew. The cornerstone was laid for the building on South Main Street in downtown Walton in 1913, with dedication the following year. The church has gone through several expansions in subsequent years.