In 1934, Albert Hue began organizing a squad to fight fires in Florence. He used his own money to buy a 1913 Ahrens-Fox pumper for $75 and borrowed 500 feet of hose from the Elsmere Fire Department. In 1936, the Florence Volunteer Fire Department was organized.
The Florence Fire Station building was built in 1937, and was in use until 2014. The City of Florence maintains the building as the “Historic Main Street Fire Station.”