From The 1961 Walton-Verona High School Yearbook, The Dawn
As early as 1880 there were two schools in Verona, one the public school, or grade school, operated by the county and the other a private school, grade and high school, known as “The League Institute” started by Miss Nannie Hamilton. More is known of the “League Institute” than the public school in Verona. There was a tuition fee of $50 per year for each student. In connection with the school, a boarding house was maintained and cottages furnished to take care of many boys and girls from communities several miles away, who wanted a higher education, since the League Institute was one of the few schools in Northern Kentucky to offer a four year high school course. Two courses of study were offered; the scientific, and the classical course. The private school was started by Miss Nannie Hamilton, and it continued a private school until around 1910. By this time it had consolidated with the other public school. Then in 1914 the present building at Verona was built. This high school lasted until the fall of 1935, when it became consolidated with Walton. Miss Nannie Hamilton taught until well up in her eighties. Other teachers about the turn of the century in the League Institute were: Miss Madelyn Pfieffer, Miss Lula Forward, a Miss Culbertson, and a Miss Moore. Names as Jim Craven, Lizzie Roberts and Lillie Rouse were some teachers in the public School.
As early as 1880, there was a public school or grade school on the site of the old school, which was operated by the County as a graded school only. The first school in Walton to offer high school subjects was a private school. This private school was started by Mrs. Clara Myers who came to Kentucky from Vermont and had attended Georgetown College. Tuition was $3 a month. Mr. Henry Newton was recognized in an Atlas published in 1883 as “Teacher of the Select School, offering all branches of mathematics and a regular course of thorough instruction.” This private school lasted until 1902 when it became a public school. It was located at the site better known as the Ryle Property, two doors north of the Walton Christian Church. Three living graduates of the last class to graduate from the Myers Private School were: Mrs. Julia Rouse, Walton; Mr. Walter Herndon, Lexington, Ky.; and Mrs. Edna Ransler Metcalfe, Greensville, Ohio. It seems that a Mr. Dickey was the first principal of the public school, we refer to one built in 1901, on the same location as the public school referred to in the Atlas of 1883. This building consisted of six classrooms and an auditorium. There were 4 graduates in the first graduating class, of which one is living; Gertrude Curley Jackson of Tampa, Florida. There were no graduates in 1903, but there has been a graduating class every year since.
During the 60 years of the Walton-Verona School, there are two families that of Mrs. Viola Roberts and of Mr. D. H. Vest to have three generations to graduate from this school.
Besides Mr. Dickey, the first principal who left after three years to teach at Harvard College, there have been a number of principals of this grand old school, some will be familiar others were here before many of us were school age. A Mr. Waldrup followed Mr. Dickey, and he is still living in Pennsylvania, retired. Mr. H. C. Wayman also served as principal before 1910. C. O. Morgan was principal in 1910 and Mr. Kenneth Collins, a graduate of State University in Lexington, was his assistant. Mr. A. A. Kennett was an assistant under Mr. Wayman. Mr. C. S. Acra was principal during the 1929-30 term. These names may not be in exact order, but this is an almost complete list of principals and/or superintendents who have served the Walton School: Jaylea Chambers, J.C. Gordon, Lorenzo Rhoades, a Mr. Champion, L. E. McCart, Cyrus W. Collins, H. V. Price, Raymond Bevarly, Walter Coop, Hubert Baker, J. O. Ward, Robert Ison, and Eugene Robinson.
Since the consolidation of the Walton and Verona School, they have been referred to as superintendents, Mr. Bevarly being the first, Mr. Coop was the principal and became superintendent following Mr. Bevarly's death in 1937.
Mr. William Ransler helped to get the Walton Public School started, which was the first public high school in the county. It is well known as a high school, and people moved in from all over so their children could go to school here or boarded their children with friends.
In the fall of 1935 the Walton and Verona schools were consolidated into one school district, a grade school maintained at Verona and a grade school and a high school at Walton.
Basketball was introduced early. In 1904 teams were organized for the girls and were continued for some time. Our greatest teams were the boys teams of 1930, 1933 and 1942, which were in the state tournament. Outstanding players were Jimmy Vest, Frenchy Demoisey, Ward Rice, John Hartman, Bill Cluster, Wilbur Aylor, Russell Groger, and Dyke Vest. Frenchy DeMoisey of the 1930 team was All-American at the University of Kentucky. Of past coaches, Raymond Bevarly is the most outstanding.
The Walton-Verona School has always maintained a high standard scholastically and with the exception of during the war years and right after has had an “A” rating.