One of two Boone County branches of the Hebron Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Madison County, Virginia, Hopeful Lutheran Church was established in 1805. (Hebron Lutheran Church is the other branch.)
The present church building was constructed in 1917 at a cost of over $12,000, and featured a new state of the art auditorium, kitchen, and electric lighting system. A large celebration was held on November 11th, 1917 to dedicate the new structure. The Boone County Recorder estimated that one-thousand to twelve hundred people gathered for the dedication and following services. The day-long celebration ended in a large feast and the Church raised over $4,000 for construction costs.
The Church was added to the National Register in 1989.