Tanner's Station was the first settlement in Boone County, Kentucky. Baptist Reverend, John Tanner, bought 2000 acres with John Taylor along the Ohio River in 1791 from John Woolpur of Philadelphia. Reverend John Tanner settled in what is now known as Petersburg, Kentucky, although the name Petersburg was not decided until 1818. Tanner's Station was built on a Fort Ancient Indian village dating to about AD 1200. This site was very conspicuous for Indians with its fertile land and being right on the river.