This is an old revision of the document!
Near the turn of the century, small towns frequently boasted local opera houses, featuring plays, circuses, orators, and traveling shows that offered entertainment for residents. The Walton Opera House was built on the site of a blacksmith shop owned by German immigrant Christian Chittenhelm, located near the railroad tracks and close to the present-day Walton Branch of the Boone County Public Library.
The Opera House was immensely popular, converting to a movie house when silent movies debuted. It suffered a decline after the boom of the 1920's, and was used as a warehouse for many years before becoming the Model Food Store. The store was torn down in 1976.