The Scheben Branch of the Boone County Public Library is an official passport application acceptance facility. Our Passport Service is in-person and available by appointment ONLY. Individuals who have a Passport Appointment at the Library must have all paperwork completed, and all relevant persons must be present. Additionally, individuals must have the correct payment type and amount(s) upon arrival at the appointment. Applications will not be accepted if all of the above conditions are not met. Check the U.S. Department of State for estimated processing times.
STEP 1: Determine your eligibility
You are eligible for a new passport if any one of the following is true:
- This is your first U.S. passport.
- You are under 16 years of age.
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under 16 years of age.
- Your previous U.S. passport was damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more the 15 years ago.
- Use Form DS-82 if you are eligible to renew by mail.
STEP 2: Schedule Your Appointment
- Check our Passport Service Hours of Operation below.
- Call 859-342-2665 x2 to schedule an appointment.
- Only one application per appointment.
- Expect each appointment to last around 30 minutes.
STEP 3: Bring Documentation to Appointment
- A completed BUT UNSIGNED Form DS-11.
- Proof of Identity
- Kentucky Driver's License
- Kentucky ID Card
- U.S. Military or Military Dependent ID
- Certificate of Naturalization with Identifiable Photo
- Certificate of Citizenship with Identifiable Photo.
- Government Employee ID with Identifiable Photo.
- Previous passport.
- Current and valid foreign passport.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (Original AND Photocopy)
- Naturalization Certificate.
- Previous but undamaged U.S. Passport.
- U.S. Birth Certificate.
- Applications for Minors Under 16 May Require Additional Documentation.
STEP 4: Your Passport Photo
- Use the State Deparment Photo Tool to prepare your own photo.
- Submit a color photo.
- Use a photo taken in last 6 months.
- Must be a clear image of your face.
- Do not use filters commonly used on social media.
- You must face the camera directly.
- Have someone else take your photo. No selfies.
- Remove eyeglasses for your photo.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- We can take your photo at the Scheben Branch. Photo Fee Below***.
Examples of acceptable passport photos